Rechercher dans ce blog

Thursday, November 12, 2020

Review: Fried chicken for the whole family, plus cocktails - OCRegister

meat.indah.link

It’s dark outside. The phone rings. “Hello?” I mute the television that’s been tuned to the election returns all night. 

“Hi. It’s your driver with DoorDash. I’m almost at your front door with your food from Tavern House. However, the restaurant just called to tell me they forgot to put your cocktails in the bag. So I’ll drop off your dinner, but I’ll have to go back for the drinks.” 

Crap. The Manhattans. I would rather they forgot the food and just delivered the drinks. But the driver is really nice and apologetic as she drops off a large bag filled with fried chicken then waves and rushes back to her car. 

I can’t wait, though. I don’t want the food to get cold. But I also need a drink so I open a bottle of mezcal. Mezcal goes with chicken, right? “It does tonight,” I tell myself. 

I pour a glass of mezcal and start transferring food to the table. I’ve ordered the fried chicken family pack from the takeout and delivery menu at Tavern House in Newport Beach. It smells so nice, that comforting aroma of fried chicken and gravy. The gravy (packaged separately) is creamy and buttery, flecked with fresh thyme, just like my grandmother used to make. There’s enough chicken — boneless breasts, golden and still crisp — for six or seven people, along with mashed potatoes and green beans. The menu promised brussels sprouts, but they sent green beans, which is fine by me. They’re really good.  

The fried chicken has always been my favorite thing on the menu at this restaurant, and it’s just as good at home with minimal assembly required. 

Just as I’m finishing off a slice of decadent peanut butter pie (costs extra) with caramel sauce and whipped cream, the doorbell rings. It’s the Manhattans. I glance at my empty mezcal glass. The night’s still young. 

Tavern House

Where: Tavern House

When: Family pack available for dinner nightly

Cost: $75

Phone: 949-673-8464

Online: tavernhousekb.com

The Link Lonk


November 13, 2020 at 02:03AM
https://ift.tt/2GXmBgj

Review: Fried chicken for the whole family, plus cocktails - OCRegister

https://ift.tt/38mRq7q
Fried Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Monterey Beef Rice Skillet | Food & Recipes from the Farm | lancasterfarming.com - Lancaster Farming

meat.indah.link Ingredients 1 pound hamburger 1 cup uncooked rice 2-1/2 cups water 1 onion, chopped 1 teaspoon salt 1 pint tomato ...

Popular Posts